20 perfectly good reasons to have a couples shoot
Above is one perfectly good reason to have a couples shoot (and below are the other 19). I used to call them pre-wedding, engagement, beloved or whatever shoots but in reality they all suggest being wedding orientated. Screw that. A bit like how valentines day shouldn’t be the only time you show affection to each other or how Christmas is the only time you see family.
A couples shoot is a wonderful way of getting closer together, to zone out, put your phones away and enjoy each others company.
With Kimberley and James above it was a sunny day, we strong-armed ourselves into a couple of fields for photos. Admittedly, the height of the rape-seed was deceiving from the road and I had my comedy moments pushing through it (imagine a dog jumping through long grass…that was me).
Kimberley needed help getting into field two (there was some nettles) so James and I pretty much launched her over, she screamed, we laughed and the shoot continued.
Shoots like this don’t just happen. A certain amount of foresight and planning are needed so be prepared to move the shoot date if the following happens:
- Long hair is involved and it’s really windy.
- It’s raining.
- You’ve had a fall out and while you totally love each other you just don’t like him / her right now.
- It’s generally quite grim out there.
- You are really very ill, contagious and may make me sick as well as the other 200 guests at my next wedding.
- The last time you were in this particular field someone took a shot at you. (Same with swarms of killer bees, angry cows, fields of magpies and you’re wearing lots of interesting bling).
- There’s complete cloud cover (the light looks flat and boring).
I’ve compromised before and shot in less than ideal situations which was ok, kinda, but not as good as it could of been so always be understanding if a photographer says it might not be the best idea…because just look how lovely things can be when it all falls into place…..
medium format digital, Pentax 645, Engagement Shoot, portraits, 645z, rapeseed field, Pentax 645z, shot with a 645z, Pre Wedding shoot, why have an engagement shoot, 20 reasons to have a couples shoot, engagement photogaphy, honeymoon couples shoot, honeymoon shoot, wedding photography, medium format camera, corn field